HJWC’s 2019-2020 club year is kicking off and we are very excited to celebrate our 70th anniversary! We have so many amazing members and, over the course of the year, we will be featuring their involvement in the club. First up are two members from our Executive Board, Jen Ashley (2019-2020 President) and Lauren Kavanaugh (1st Vice President and next year’s president).
1. How long have you been in the club? My first year in the club was the 2012-2013 Club year. I have been a member of the Social Committee, as well as Legacy-Repeat Boutique. I have chaired Legacy-Repeat Boutique, Social, as well as Fine Arts. I have been Secretary, VP and now President.
2. What is your favorite thing about the club? My favorite thing about the club is taking time away from my other responsibilities to connect and hang out with other like-minded women. Even though we are all "working" as volunteers, the club truly has become a welcome fixture in my life and I love the way it keeps me connected to my friends and community.
3. What do you do in your spare time? I'm a musician, so most of my spare time is spent either making music or going to see live music. I also love to cook and hang out with the family!
4. What is your favorite thing about the Western suburbs? I've lived in the Western Suburbs my entire life, except for a brief stint in the city when I was young and cool. My husband grew up in Hinsdale, so he has as well. It's nice to remain part of the community at large and celebrate in its traditions,- such as taking my kids to the Brookfield Zoo where I went as a kid, or going to the Hinsdale 4th of July parade every year, just like my husband did when he was younger. Plus the suburbs just have so much to offer in their own right, but accessibility to the city is key!
1. How long have you been in the club? The 2019-2020 club year will be my 5th year.
2. What is your favorite thing about the club? HJWC is full of strong women who support one another in both their business and personal life. HJWC women are each other’s biggest cheerleaders.
3. What do you do in your spare time? Outside of mom-ing, work, and HJWC, I exercise when I can, serve on the Board of Directors for Salt Creek Ballet, try new restaurants, travel, and try to sneak in naps here and there.
4. What is your favorite thing about the Western suburbs? Schools, safety, sense of community, and the proximity to both major airports for travel purposes :).